May 26, 2008

The Final Demise of Spud

It is beautiful out today, so I decided I was going to sit on the balcony, maybe paint my nails, and keep Spud company. When I opened the door I noticed there were small, mostly dead, bugs scattered all over the ground. One or two were flying around here and there. "Hmmm," I thought, "Why all the dead bugs?" I investigated the situation but couldn't find anything. So I swept them up and went back to the original plan of sitting outside. But when I looked around, there were still a bunch of these things flying around and climbing the walls. Spud looked at me and shrugged, full of guilt. I hit the sides of his pot to see if anything stirred, but nothing did. Anyone that knows me, knows I am not all that strong, so I doubt if the soil moved at all. Steve came out and gave the pot a good hit, and up flew tiny little bugs from their hiding place in the dirt. Now I had put Spud outside because of the gnats that I was pretty sure were coming from him, but I never anticipated Spud littering the balcony with centimeter long dead bugs. It was time for Spud to go. But not before digging up the potato to see if we had grown any baby potatoes - we did not. So we say farewell to Spud and I will need to find a new hobby. Until then...

1 comment:

nicole falk said...

SO sad!!!! goodbye Spud! Fare thee well...