Apr 19, 2012

If You Rhyme, They Will Listen...

I commute 30 miles to work every day. I've noticed many things in my travels, for instance, a one-mile long helix is not more effective than a straight line, but Project "Let's build a ton of roads so people have jobs," did not get that memo (and why, dear God, WHY, has it been backing up to the entrance all week?!). I've also noticed that when the amber alert signs are not in use for more important things, like finding criminals and missing children, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has determined that we will follow driving safety guidelines if they are presented to us poetically.
  • Don't want to wear a seatbelt? Click it or ticket.
  • Texting while driving? One text or call could wreck it all. (Oh, don't think the double entendre is lost on me! You're very clever, government agency!)
Honestly, I thought there were more of these. I guess I just found them so ridiculous it felt like more. It just made me curious—was a study done that showed people respond better if presented with a rhyme? Do they fear rhyme? Does it make it more ominous? The "Don't drink and drive" campaign doesn't rhyme. Are the stats showing that it was significantly less effective?

I think the larger issue lies in that, I shouldn't be condemned to my car for upwards of four hours a day. I should be making better use of my time on the planet. I mean, look at this. And by the way, I leave a space between myself and the car in front of me as a buffer. I've had enough people drive into my car, and I've driven into enough cars to know I don't want to do it anymore. This is my buffer. It is not an invitation for you to cut me off. All I want for Christmas is a train horn for my car.

That being said, time to go sit in some traffic on 280.

No comments: