Apr 7, 2011

Should Probably Have Checked Out That Noise In the Kitchen

I'm working from home. It's wonderful. I also have a head cold. That is not so wonderful. Sometimes when I get sick, my nose plays tricks on me and things smell bad that don't really smell at all. Today may be one of those days, but I guess I won't really know until after the congestion goes away.

I got up early and went to the gym, trying to get my sinuses to clear. When I got home, I noticed a smell that I couldn't pinpoint. This happened once before and it ended up being bad turkey in the fridge. This time, I lit a candle in the bathroom, one in the kitchen, hopped in the shower and then went to the back of my apartment to my desk to work.

A couple of hours later, there was a noise in the kitchen. It sounded like my keys had fallen off of the table. Only slightly curious, I continued what I was doing. A few minutes later, remembering there was a candle burning that was nearing the end of its little candle life, I went to check it out.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear—but a small fire burning on my kitchen table! The glass the candle was encased in had exploded. I had the candle sitting on top of a yoga book I wanted to read, which was now being covered in liquid wax, glass particles were everywhere, tiny burning embers were strewn about the table and the top of my book was burning. Not sure what to do first, I tried to blow out the fire, which, as you can imagine, made it bigger. Deciding to ignore that for a second, I tried to get the burning embers off of my wooden kitchen table, so I picked them up. Yep, they're hot. So after burning my hand, I threw them on the floor and stomped on them with my slippers. Now there is charred candle bit smeared on my kitchen floor.

Back to the fire. I tried blowing it out again, this time harder. Luckily, it worked, but also just spread more wax everywhere. I got everything all cleaned up, but now I am left with burn marks on the table that Pledge cannot fix, a yellow burn on the book, a sore hand, a floor that needs cleaning and a burned placemat. It's really not that bad, had my laziness consumed me a little longer, it would have been much worse.

I think I'm ready to go back to bed.

1 comment:

Sean B said...

Goof Off will get the wax off. That stuff is a liquid miracle